There’s so many ways to make a snack mix with cereal. This is a good after school snack or toddler snack. They still get the fiber, protein, and whatever vitamins and minerals are in the cereal. Here’s a way to make a sweet one.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups one kind of cereal (these should be bite- sized cereal like Chex or Cheerios)
- 4 cups of another cereal
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzels, optional
- 1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts, optional
- 1. Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. Microwave brown sugar, butter and honey in microwavable bowl, uncovered on high 1 minute, stir, if the butter is not melted, put it in the microwave for another minute. Stir in baking soda until dissolved.
- Place cereals and optional pretzels/peanuts in a large bowl, add melted butter mixture. Microwave one minute, stir, microwave another minute, stir, microwave one more minute and stir again. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool for 10 minutes. Break it up into bite sized pieces.
- Microwave chocolate chips in a small bowl to melted and smooth. (If its too thick to drizzle, put it in a baggie and cut off the corner for drizzling) Drizzle on cereal pieces.
- Refrigerate half an hour to set chocolate. Store in an airtight container.
My chocolate is a little too clumpy, that’s why I added the baggie suggestion in the recipe.