My cereal boxes were taking over more than their fair share of the pantry. What I usually do when no one seems to be eating up the cereal is make a mix; usually a savory party mix. But since spring is in the air I wanted to do something spring-y. Although there is nothing new about Muddy Buddies, they are almost as famous as Rice Krispy Treats. They are the sweet cousin of Chex Party Mix. On my Rice Chex box, was a recipe for muddy Buddies, and I reached for a bag of egg-shaped M&M’s in the stash I had bought for Easter Basket fillers, to go in the mix. I used a combo of Rice Chex and a Trader Joes brand of a multigrain cereal very much like Life cereal. Use whatever cereal is crowding your pantry as long as its fresh.
Note: the puffier chex cereal made a better texture than the other, flatter cereal I used.
The picture on the box showed a much whiter finish than mine. If I were doing it again I would try white chocolate or a pastel colored candy melt instead of milk chocolate, for a lighter finish.
In case your box doesn’t have the Muddy Buddies recipe:
After the mixture has cooled and you are putting it in your container for storage, add the chocolate Easter/ spring candy of your choice.
- 9 cups Rice Chex, Corn Chex or Chocolate Chex cereal (or any combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High i minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2- gallon resealable food- storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
I found these cute bunny baskets at Target and put some of the mix in each one for my grandkids.